In deepest sympathy.
We are so sorry for your loss.
SUDC UK does not directly provide bereavement support for families. This service is provided by the SUDC Foundation, which supports over 1000 families worldwide, including many in the UK. The SUDC Foundation is experienced in the unique challenges and unanswered questions that follow a sudden, unexpected and unexplained loss of a child.
Please register with us to access professional and peer bereavement support and, should you wish, to be part of the global community of SUDC families.
The SUDC Foundation is based in the U.S. and can also be reached on 001 973 795 1257 or directly via their website www.sudc.org
Families affected by the sudden unexpected death of a child can also visit The Good Grief Trust for targeted local and national support, advice and information. The Good Grief Trust is an umbrella organisation where you can search for support services in your area. At the bottom of its home page are the numbers of 24-hour helplines, should you wish to call for urgent support.
If you struggle to find the help you need please do let us know and we may be able to advise you.
There are some bereavement support organisations that SUDC UK would like to highlight
- We know that some of our families find one-to-one or group support for themselves, or their children, through larger organisations such as Child Bereavement UK and Cruse Bereavement Care.
- StrongMen is an national organisation that strives to specifically support and connect bereaved men.
- The Lullaby Trust is a UK charity that supports families who have been affected by the sudden and unexpected death of a baby or young child. Working with the NHS, it runs a national health-visitor led service for bereaved parents, called the Care of Next Infant (CONI) programme, which supports families before and after the birth of a new baby. This service can sometimes be offered to families who have had a young child die suddenly and unexpectedly.
- The Scottish Cot Death Trust is dedicated to the issue of sudden unexpected death in babies and young children and provides a wide range of support for anyone affected by a sudden unexpected death in infancy (SUDI) in Scotland. Like the Lullaby Trust, it also offers a program to support parents with pregnancy and new babies following child bereavement.
- 2 Wish Upon A Star provides support in Wales for anyone affected by the sudden and unexpected death of a child or young adult.
SUDC UK is proud to support retreats for parents affected by the sudden, unexpected loss of a child between 1 and 18 years of age. These events are fully-funded in memory of Autumn Garwood and are based at a beautiful location in Buckinghamshire. ‘A Day Retreat’ provides time and space to meet, listen and share with others who have also suddenly lost a child. It is guided by caring and supportive experts, including our patron, Jenni Thomas. Please contact us for information or see our Facebook page for scheduled events.
Additional SUDC UK bereavement resources
- Information on the process following a death
- Sibling Resources
- Resources during and after pregnancy
- Family Screening